Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Tsunami


The Tsunami
            My first trip to the Indonesia was in 2005 when I was stationed on a hospital ship (USNS Mercy).  We went to the Malaysian Island to help thousands people because of the big the tsunami that struck in late 2004. It was my first time ever being in a third world country. I’ve never seen so many helpless people affected by a natural disaster. Everything was destroyed their homes, cars, food resources, and running water. Seeing everything that was affected by the tsunami was awful and horrendous. Young children, women, and men were roaming hopeless in hope to find family and friends that separated them by hits of waves 20 to 50 feet high. The US sent the Mercy and a few other ships to help the countries that were affected by the tsunami. We called these types of deployments “Humanitarian Relief” the US would stock each ship with medical supplies, water, food, and doctors. Whenever countries are struck by natural disasters like this they will ask other countries for help.
            Indonesia was the country most affected by the tsunami. When I first flew into the country it seemed like a big bowling ball just rolled through destroying everything in its path. It was so horrible to see the aftermath I couldn’t even imagine what these people were going through. To have lost everything possible it seemed like the country would have to start all over. If the country would have had the same technology we do in the US they could’ve been more prepared.
            When I first landed we handed out food, water, blankets, and clothing that that the Red Cross provided.  We brought doctors to help with the sick and injured. With high water levels still present some were living on high ridges and mountain tops with nothing but the things they grabbed or could put on their backs. By the end more than 150,000 were dead or missing (The Deadliest). Ever since being there and seeing what I saw, I count my blessings that I live in a country that has everything possible to help with major disasters. I feel so fortunate to call the United States of America my home. Not many countries are well structured like the US. I’m thankful for being raised in the US.

Work Cited
"The Deadliest Tsunami in History?" National Geographic News. National Geographic, 7 Jan. 2005. Web. 3 Mar. 2013.

6 comments:

  1. To see that tragedy, man I'd feel horrible too. That's so amazing that you went to help. A good deed like that will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you help the people out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your service to our nation and for those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats AMAZING that you went go to go help the people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very amazing thing for you to do. Thank you for what you do for this country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Thank for everything to do for this country. For your honor, braveness, and work .

    ReplyDelete