Monday, February 25, 2013

My Family



My Family
            My family consists of two younger brothers; Kevin who is 20 years old, Jacob 7 years, my step-father Vince, and of course my beautiful mother Kelly. It was just Kevin, my mother, and I till about 2004 when my mother met the coolest guy ever, Vince aka “Vinnie”. My mother worked at the LA County Hospital, where they met. Vinnie is a LA City Firefighter and works at Station #86 as a firefighter and a paramedic.
            When Vince and my mother got married we moved in with him in Harbor City, CA. Vince new my mother came baggage, my brother and I. Even with children from a previous marriage Vince accepted all of us with open arms, treating us like we were his own. Showing us things my true father didn’t, fishing, camping, dirt biking, hiking, and traveling. After the divorce with my father my mother was sadden and depressed. I remember the first date she went with Vince, it was a nice restaurant in Palos Verdes, CA. When she came home after the date she had this glow like she was in love again. She told us all about him and how proud she was that she found love again.
            In 2005 she was pregnant with Jacob, soon after Jacob was born I joined the Navy and left home. I was away from friends and family for six years. I was stationed in Guam, a small island just east of Japan. After my contract was done I came back to the states and began my new life in Thousand Oaks. Vince and the family had moved to Thousand Oaks while I was away. Soon after I followed and found a good job at ALCOA as a quality engineer/inspector. 
            Kevin now 20 years old I try to mentor him to make sure he makes the right decisions. Also, I try to make up the time I lost while I was gone from Jacob. I volunteer for everything I can, camping with him for boy scouts to coaching his baseball little league. As for Vince and my mother I try to have dinner with them as much as I can. I try to precious my time I have with my family. You just don’t know how much you really miss your family until you spend six years away from home. I’m glad to come back home to see the family so happy. It feels good knowing I made my family so proud of the oldest for serving in the military. 

3 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed reading your post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its cool that you have such a wonderful relationship with your step father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s nice to know that your mother is now happy with your step-father and enjoying life now.

    ReplyDelete